News and Events
Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience whilst our building project is going ahead and check for news on the Building Work page.
We use this page to let everyone know about upcoming events in our church community.
Church with coffee and cake
Around once a month on a Sunday evening we have a cafe-style service, a service in a relaxed and conversational style, enlivened by music, cake, coffee and tea. Keep an eye on the Worship page and come along. If you've never tried casual, chatty church you might find it's just your cup of tea.
A time to join in some manageable exercise suitable for senior citizens. You might be surprised how much you benefit from doing just a little more than you thought you could! Sessions are from 11.45 am to 2.00 pm once a month. Get in touch if you would like to come, or need a little encouragement. We're carrying on as normal at church through the rebuilding!
A working group formed in our Circuit is looking at ways to help with this crisis. Have a look at the special Refugee page for details. If you would like to be involved with this group, ask the office and we will put you in touch. They meet regularly at different churches around the circuit.
There are lots of practical ways you can get involved with our efforts to help with this huge crisis. Please tell us if you can help with anything - or if you've thought of something we might be able to do that isn't on the list on the refugee page yet.
In-Tent on Prayer - 1-2 December
Can you sign up to spend an hour in our prayer tent at church between 6.00 pm on Friday 1 December and 6.00 pm on Saturday 2 December? There's a sign-up sheet in church if you can. Even if you can only drop in for a short time you will be very welcome. If you can't get to church but can pray at home for a time to help us maintain the chain please let us know when you are praying!
We want to thank God for everything we have already and all we have to look forward to. We want to pray for our church community at a time of upheaval and change, for the builders and contractors, and for a successful outcome to the works. We want to pray for our mission and witness in our community to be refreshed and uplifted, first by the shared experience of coping for months with many of our facilities out of action, and then by offering our beautiful new facilities to our visitors and all the groups in our area who can make use of them.
We will be sealing all the prayers in a family celebration at 6.00 pm on Saturday 2 December and we hope that EVERYONE can come to that.
We know how quickly the calendar fills up for some of us, so here are the dates of some special services here at FOMC over Christmas time
- 3 December 10.30 am - the Toy Service - bring a long a new toy to done to a child who might receive nothing else.
- 3 December 6.30 pm - our annual Light up a Life Service with St Giles Hospice
- 4 December 6.30 pm - the Scouts and Guides Carol Service - come and sing some favourites, and join parents, leaders and friends of all our Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Rainbows, Brownies and Guides for mince pies afterwards.
- 17 December 4.00 pm - Christingle Service - come and sing carols, hear the Nativity story (perhaps join in if you are small!) and find out what on earth a Christingle is!
- 20 December 10.20 am Midweek Christmas Communion - a quiet and gentle celebration with a chance to socialise afterwards
- 24 December 10.30 am - Carol Service - come along and sing all your favourites
- 24 December 11.15 pm - Midnight Communion - the first Holy Communion of Christmas Day, celebrated in the stillness of night
- 25 December 10.00 am - Christmas Day Praise - come and join the whole church family to celebrate the birth of Jesus - bring a new toy to show everyone if you like, or maybe wear your tackiest Christmas jumper!
Covenant Service - 21 January
Methodists traditionally re-dedicate themselves to God at the beginning of each year in a service which includes the Covenant Prayer. This year our Covenant Service will be on Sunday 21 January at 10.30 am and you are warmly invited to join us.
This is one version of the prayer.
'I am no longer my own but yours.
Put me to what you will,
rank me with whom you will;
put me to doing,
put me to suffering;
let me be employed for you,
or laid aside for you,
exalted for you,
or brought low for you;
let me be full,
let me be empty,
let me have all things,
let me have nothing:
I freely and wholeheartedly yield all things
to your pleasure and disposal.
And now, glorious and blessed God,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
you are mine and I am yours. So be it.
And the covenant now made on earth, let it be ratified in heaven.'
Celebrating God's Kingdom 2 - planned for Sunday 29 April
Last year's CGK event was very well received around the Circuit and we plan to do the same again, so save the date now. There is a planning meeting if you are interested in being apart of this event at 7.30 pm at Blackwood Methodist Church.